ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

Excerpts from:

A Discussion of 250 Deep Yoruba African Proverbs by :

Alaba J. Babalola

Available at :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/9785946703

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-discussion-of-250-deep-yoruba-alaba-j-babalola/1143299069

https://www.jumia.com.ng/generic-a-discussion-of-250-deep-yoruba-african-proverbs-208617773.html


ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

'Eni t'aa she loore ti o dupe dabi ọlọsha to ko ni l'ẹru lọ' is a saying in Yoruba that reminds us of the essence of gratitude towards people who have been kind or good to us. When we fail to express gratitude where necessary, our benefactors may compare us to a robber who has plundered their domain and made away with articles of great value.  Because I don't want to be thought of as a robber I would quickly render my heartfelt gratefulness and appreciation to people who have helped me in various ways to make the writing of this book possible. 
Generally these good people include persons who inspired or encouraged the work, either actively or passively, and those who helped in the research necessary to probe into many of the deep proverbs in order to extract the invaluable wisdom within them. Others include persons who simply, sincerely and enthusiastically cheered me on to the finish line after seeing some of the work in the making. It is impossible to mention all of them by name because they are very many, but they include relatives, close friends and acquintances like Messrs Kunle Edalere, Muda Airahi, Ismaila Delupe, Tunji Ayoade, Titus Olaleye, Supo Moses, Tony Ajah, Olajide Sowade, Hakeem Adeleke, Adefolaju Soetan, Ms. Remi Foster-Aileru, Dr. Tokunbo Adebayo and Dr. Adewale Aderemi. I cannot forget the very generous Messrs Bola Salami and Rasheed Sanni. I'm always inspired by their enthusiasm and moral support. Also, I'm sure that other friends and relatives would have helped if they knew about the project. I am indeed thankful to every one of them. Eeyan yin'ni yin'ni k' ẹni le she mii. (See proverb 147 in this book).
I cannot thank Dr (Mrs) Ronke Babalola enough. She helped in procuring the first set of materials I used for researching Yoruba proverbs. Though we have the same last name, she is a friend like a very good sister. May God bless the duo of Zainab and Hadijat Abiola Sanni. They are like angels sent at the right time to help with word processing, proofreading and to give me invaluable insight about how young people prefer to receive this kind of work.
Also, and In particular, I'm grateful to Mr. Rasaki Lawal for his listening ear and viewpoints on many knotty proverbs. Mr. Lawal, a respectable Yoruba elder in his own right has been one of the gateways to other erudite elders who shed significant light on many of the proverbs.  
I must also mention Mr. Lawrence Akingbade who was extremely accommodating and always eager to provide answers to questions I had on the work. I wish to thank Miss Toyin Oliwaya. Toyin was the first to give me a positive and inspiring review after reading part of the manuscript.
I'm indebted to Chief Mrs. Lydia Bọlatito Sowade, not just for her motherly support and advice, but also for constantly providing insight, corroborations and clarifications of sundry views on Yoruba traditions and culture relating to proverbs featured in this project. 
My gratitude goes to Mrs. Bọla Ikushika and Mr. Shẹgun Oyebade who were always checking to see when the work would be published. I appreciate Miss Vanessa Emas and Mr. Idris Etti like many others who gracefully declared that they would be the first to buy the book once it is published. I'm sure they didn't know how much inspiration their expressed desires gave me.
Thanks to Pelumi Aderemi for helping with word-processing and some other computer related works necessary to get the project ready for publishing. He's a very nice person.
Special thanks to all Yoruba movie practitioners, musicians, on-air personalities and broadcasters on both radio and television who use proverbs in their contents for broadcasts, shows and performances. In doing that they ensure that we all are constantly reminded of the old sayings of the elders.
Finally, appreciation and gratitude without measure flow from my soul to Ebunola Babalola and Mama Aina Okundaye, both of blessed memories - my earthly mother and grandmother respectively, for using the proverbs consistently in interacting with us their children, for our upbringing and psychological growth during those formative years. May their gentle souls continue to rest in peace. Amen

All the best to everyone.

All glory be to God.


Alaba

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverb 55

PROVERB 249

YORUBA CULTURE